Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cutty Sark: nearing the end of the journey



STOP PRESS: You must see this promo video on YouTube! Brilliant!

















I thought I might do some walks from DLR stations. Greenwich seemed a good place to start, especially as I wanted to see how the Cutty Sark is getting on. Good news. I spoke to the person in charge of getting the masts and rigging back into place and he seemed a little sad that his job would be done mid March. The last of the rigging is being put in place right now. The poor old figurehead looks a bit fed up. I doubt she'll smile even when she gets her arms. Actually, she's not old, but a replica. The original will be on display in the Ship's museum.


Maybe I should point out that the Cutty Sark is not actually at the angle in the photo. It came out that way because I was perched awkwardly on a wall in order to see over the fencing which still surrounds the ship. When I saw that it looks as if she were sailing, I didn't have the heart to correct the tilt.

As for the walk - plotting the route should be easy as I take friends round the town several times a year. A lot of Greenwich is still a construction site, but there is a great feeling of excitement - and relief - that this amazing restoration project is finally coming to an end safely. The Duke of Gloucester visited the ship today - everyone wants to get in on the act. . .

Click on images for bigger photos


to see the walks I have done so far, go to www.londontuberambles.co.uk